A Clam Shell Pop-Up Card - Colours of January for SUO 87

Beach Hues
Colours of January is the theme for the latest challenge at SUO Challenges. When you think about the month of January, what colours spring to mind?  For me it's all about the Summer Holiday Break so I went in search of a beachy colour combo in my 'Colour' Board on Pinterest.

I loved this colour combo from Design Seeds and matched it up with some SU Colours that I thought would suit the theme.
http://www.pinterest.com/brone/colour/
Pool Party, Coastal Cabana, Baked Brown Sugar, So Saffron, Crushed Curry


There's a real mix of digital and traditional die cutting, stamping etc.used in the making of this card so I thought you might like to know how it all came together -

Mini Tutorial

1.  Download the 'Anchors Away' Digital Kit from Stampin' Up! ® into MDS (My Digital Studio).  I chose the seahorse and clam shell 'stamps' and then exported these files into my Silhouette Studio


2.  Once they are in your e-cutter 'program', convert them into cutting files.  Re-size the seahorse to suit your project and make a card base from the clam shell (Please note that there are lots of tutorials on how to do this everywhere on You Tube and the Internet in general and I will be publishing the ones that I have written on my blog for FREE very soon).


3.  E-cut two card bases from So Saffron Card Stock.


4.  Using the Label Inserts Pop'n'Cuts Die and one of your clam shell bases, centre the 'shell' onto the die and run it through the Big Shot.  I made a 'sandwich' using two acrylic plates and a few layers of paper underneath the die so it would be thick enough to cut through the card stock.


5.  Match the pop up piece to the other clam shell base and glue together to form the complete card base.


6.  Stamp the back of the card with stamps from the Gorgeous Grunge Set (Crushed Curry Ink).


7.  Stamp and sponge the inside of your card before adding the Deco Label, Seahorses, stamped Starfish and Basic Pearls.


The sentiment is certainly appropriate because this card was made for my sister's birthday which is on January 1st.  The whole world waits up for her birthday every year.  How cool is that? - A Happy New Year and a Happy Birthday all rolled into one day.  I hope she likes it.



Project Recipe:


Stamp Sets:
My Friend

By the Seashore

Gorgeous Grunge

Yippee-Skippee!


Digital Kit
Anchors Away


Big Shot Tools
Label Insert Pop 'n' Cuts Die


Framelits - Deco Labels


Miscellaneous Tools
Stamping Sponges




Embellishments
Basic Pearls - Jewel Accents

Thank you so much for stopping by.  I really enjoyed creating something a little different for this week's SUO Challenge.  I hope you have been inspired to play along too. Don't forget to hop on over to see what the other design team members have made.  Their projects are 'poles' apart from mine as their colours match up with the Wintry Theme of the Northern Hemisphere.

Comments